Hi, I have a just turned 11 yr old daughter who will be going to 6th grade next year. Our school offers 6th grade advanced math that accelerates them through 6th, most of 7th and a bit of 8th grade math course in 6th grade. Then in 7th they take Algebra I with the remaining 7th and 8th grade math topics that weren't covered (just a few things.)

We are in a state where the End of Year test (EOG) is the primary tool used for placement decisions. When my daughter was in 3rd grade she scored 99% on the Math EOG. Last year, in 4th she only scored 76%. She gets straight A's in class and has no issue with the math topics. She basically hates to test and just checks out if she's not motivated. They also changed the tests last year to match Common Core standards.

Unfortuntely, for her to get into this advanced math class next year she has to score 95% or above on either the 4th or 5th grade on the EOG. Then, after that, she would be given the Accuplacer Arthimetic test as the final indicator for this math class. She is so stressed about this years 5th grade EOG test because she understands now how important it is. She rightfully belongs in this higher math class but just doesn't do well on these standardized tests. My oldest son is on this math tract now so we are aware of expectations, etc.

Her WISC and SB5 scores put her above the 99%, we know her ability is there.

My question - How can I advocate for her without having the appropriate EOG scores? Does anyone have ideas on reseach, etc. that would help build my case?

I truly believe she can do the math necessary for this class. I don't know what happens to her on these EOG tests. The schools put so much weight on these tests. Is there a reason they can't look at their grades/performance throughout the entire year?

Thanks!

Last edited by spiritedmama; 04/14/14 06:40 PM.