I have been wondering about the disconnect between my daughter's IQ and a particular achievement test our school administered. DD has done exceptionally well on other achievement, IQ measures, etc, except the one test the school uses to evaluate for single subject acceleration. My thought was how is she supposed to know advanced math concepts unless she has been exposed to them, even with high innate intelligence? DD is in 3rd grade, and she just has to show that she knows math past 4th grade to get SSA. We only found out that she is HG (WISC-IV) about a month ago, and I know that she wasn't receiving advanced work in class, only some work at home, and those concepts she aced on the test.
My plan is to have her work on ALEKS every day after school on 4th grade work. Then she will have the 4th grade skills under her belt for the next go round of the school test for SSA. She only needs exposure a time or so and "gets it". I know that she's capable of even more because she's shown that with more advanced math.
This is kid driven by the way - DD has been moaning and complaining about school for a long time. She asked the other day if she could just go to a "special room" at school where she could have "more challenging work". I told her that if she wished to get harder work, she needed to show that she knew the easy stuff. Does my plan to use ALEKS sound like a good idea without me being a total hot housing mom?
She will be taking the WJ 3 (or 4 if it gets out soon enough) per the principal's instruction also.