Originally Posted by master of none
I tried to read the facts/myths but when "useless placeholder" was considered a fact, it gave me permanent pause.
That phrase, out of context, would give me pause as well.
Claims and Facts PI download (emphasis added)

Common Core Claim: The standards accommodate and prepare students for Algebra 1 in 8th grade by including the prerequisites for this course in grades K-7. Students who master the K-7 material will be able to take Algebra 1 in 8th grade. At the same time, grade 8 standards also include rigorous algebra and will transition students effectively into a full Algebra 1 course in grade 9.

Fact: The standards do not enable students to complete Algebra I in the 8th grade. Common Core explicitly places Algebra I in grade 9. Grade 8 in Common Core mathematics is a useless placeholder.
Some may say the duplication of assigning Algebra I to 8th grade and 9th grade makes 8th grade Algebra 1 a useless placeholder, rather than a clear steppingstone to more rigorous curriculum. That said, common core has changed its website several times, possibly in response to such feedback.

I do think common core has issues. It did lower standards in our schools for the GT kids. The implementers say no it moves standards to a more appropriate place. I think that comes from an assumption that all kids have the same potential for learning and all need to work to the same high level. That's a political ideal, not in the common core standards, but in the common core marketing.

Overall, I think discussion of what's happening in our districts is a great way for us all to see what common core is all about and to give us some perspective as we advocate for our kids.
Agreed! smile