The only NWEA tests I'm familiar with are the ones our school gives the students about 3 times a year to check on how they are progressing (NWEA-MAP). These are computer based tests and the questioning gets harder as the student progresses through the test until they basically top out at their level of knowledge. If that is what you are referring to then your DD does have strong scores, but those tests are not going to really tell you if your child is gifted or not. That being said, if you have a kiddo that consistently scores above level on these tests then it might not be a bad idea to get some further testing done (IQ and achievement)or request the school do some further testing.

There is a chart that explains more about the NWEA tests and shows what level your DD is at - NWEA chart

If you do a search on this forum for NWEA you will also find many different posts to look through.

Even if your school doesn't have any gifted programming until high school there are still other options they could put into place like a 504 or "SIP" (school improvement plan) that would be beneficial to your DD. You should look into your school policies to see what those options might be. I would also talk to the friend's parents and find out how the school went about accelerating her a grade level (was there testing done, teacher recommendation, etc.)

You can always give your DD some enrichment at home. Even if the school does offer some acceleration, differentiation or whatever, you will find you still need to do enrichment.

I'm sure some others will have additional information for you - good luck!