Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Anyway, it was enough to prime me to the idea that IQ might not, for an individual, be as stable and repeatable as all that. Since then, while I haven't made a careful study of the research, I've seen nothing to convince me that the probability of getting a number which is 10 or 15 points away from what it would be on another day is low enough to make it worth having a number that might be misleading in that way. I'm quite prepared to believe that for the purposes it's intended for IQ is quite good - but honestly, it isn't intended to distinguish 135 from 125 or 145, and I know I'd have a hard time not imbuing a number with that significance that it shouldn't have. So, better to look at the child.

The real problem seems to be that we need to figure out developmental arc over a lifetime, which I.Q. tests apparently can't do very well.

I suspect that such arcs are reasonably fixed, with some wiggle room, but not much.

The significance is the nature of the arc for the individual, not the score on a test on a particular day.

Last edited by JonLaw; 04/02/14 01:56 PM.