We still have concerns about DD8 reversing letters, flip-flopping letters within words, not capitalizing beginning of sentences, words not sitting on the lines, etc. For having such a high IQ and huge memory, she does some strange things. The other day she very seriously asked me if cheese had a z or an s. She knows the word cheese very well (one of her fav foods) and has seen and spelled the word a gazillion times. Then I caught her spelling family like this - faimly. I asked her to sound that out and she had a moment where you could tell she was thinking "oh yea, I've been told that before and I've got to remember the order of that one". She said she has always spelled it that way. It was like she was putting the order of the letters into her memory with all the other words she has memorized. I can see this being possible since she topped out the memory portion of her testing, so we know she has the ability to do this. This would also mean she would be able to hide this problem for a few more years until it really rears it's head.

I was researching options for a neuropsych eval since that seems to be the thing to use to tease out what may be going on that hasn't been discovered yet. So far I've found that to even get on a schedule we have to prove "medical necessity" and those schedules are into August already. I did finally get a code to check with my insurance and a guess-timate on fees if we paid ourselves ($1200).

While I was looking into neuropsych evals I found out our insurance might cover a speech/hearing evaluation and one of our state hospitals can do the eval (and they are a provider for our insurance). They told me that their eval could determine if there are certain issues like dyslexia (not sure about dysgraphia). They wouldn't be able to give us an actual diagnosis, but it would be a provisional diagnosis and a baseline. Has anyone gone this route and actually received the results they were looking for?