I think I'm nore of a purist then. I would encourage my kids to pursue ECs that are important to their growth, NOT because elite colleges allow it, BUT regardless of how elite colleges look at them.

For all I've read, and what I understand about top universities (never left once I entered), though, I think colleges do care about the specific types of ECs. It's not that they prefer some over others for no readon, but it's more about building their strengths as an institution and using resources in a focused way. They do look for students who are a "good fit" at the institution--it's not just that students look for a university that is a "good fit" for the students.

It could be a little dangerous to think too much about what elite colleges like or don't like. Obviously plenty of people do so, and to each his own. Even "stellar performance" in rigorous academic courses could be a dangerous idea if carried too far. Plenty of high school students choose safe courses, lenient teachers, safe projects, and become very risk-averse in their intellectual pursuit, for the sake of building a stellar record for college applications. There are plenty of undergrads and grad students alike who maintain straight As in many courses yet have no clue how to use the knowledge that they learned in a situation outside of the classroom.

But in the end, it's really to each his own.

Last edited by playandlearn; 03/29/14 06:17 AM.