Adding onto Bostonian's observations-- ANY area of passion may turn out to be a shared (innate? nurtured? hard to say) interest with a HG+ child and parent pair.

In our household, between DD and I this is social justice and ethics/moral relativism, as well as metaphysics, for lack of a more concise term.

With her dad, the conversations are just as intense-- but on different subjects. Physics, optics, zombies, Monty Python,, bees, materials science and engineering; not necessarily in any particular order.

It's been lovely to have someone to SHARE some really out there and unusual intellectual passions with as DD has gotten into adult thinking and reasoning. She's always been thinking about this stuff, though-- so I'm not sure that those conversations were all that less intriguing for her being only 4-7yo. She always made me think about things in novel and surprising ways. As an adult, in fact, I found her musings to be capable of getting me to see things that I had heretofore overlooked completely simply because her perspective is so unusual. She sees things that others don't-- and maybe can't. It's great.

Those are what I call her "PG moments"-- like wondering at four if people are reading disabled if they don't follow posted rules... or is it 'ethically impaired' and if so-- are they really "bad" if they are truly impaired, or is that more like a disability... through her first in depth exposure to Romeo & Juliet, which seemed dysfunctional and a story (mostly) about a very spoilt and manipulative girl, maybe a cautionary tale for adolescents to listen to their parents (because she wasn't yet old enough to understand the 'pull' of first love)... right up to this past week's example with the AP stats problem referencing Duke TIP statistics.

Her observations are usually truth-tested and rather insightful. Just-- unusual.

So being her parent is interesting. SHE is interesting, intellectually speaking. I've been around enough other children now to understand better that I'm mostly bored to tears by children under 15 or so, but DD is different. I used to think that was simply because she's mine-- but she actually seems to be that interesting to other adults, as well.

She observes things and asks interesting and non-trivial questions.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.