Hi,

I am planning to move to US with my son this summer with my HG son who has limited English. I want to make sure we find the right school for him that can accommodate his limited English and at the same time serve his gifted needs. He will need ESL/ELL services at school. He was tested using a Turkish adaptation of WISC-R last year (identified in 99.9 percentile), and that along with his translated school records will probably be the only documentation I will be able to provide to public/private schools for him during admissions, since due to his limited English proficiency, he would not be able to take the standard achievement/cognitive tests used in US (probably not even WISC-IV since that also is sensitive to English literacy). I'm not sure how ESL/ELL classes will work, whether gifted + ELL/ESL program mixture would work/possible. Not even sure if schools in US (we will move to Seattle area) would be willing to consider his WISC-R result acceptable.

I was wondering if there are parents or educators out there who are familiar with a situation similar to mine and who could share their experience or thoughts.

Cheers