Zen Scanner - good point! Some of the things I've read about this school is that they are trying to make schools efficient and cut way down on administration of the schools. That's where I think this affect schools. Schools could, theoretically, hire more teachers if they didn't need as much administration staff. Our current school does so much on paper, it drives me crazy.

HowlerKarma - It does seem a bit Subury with a twist of Montessori. I am curious to see how guided the classroom is in practice. The kids do pick what they learn from a list of options, so not completely open-ended.

BlueMagic - I like the micro-school concept. It's about as close to home-schooling as some people can get without hiring their own private tutor. There is a huge unschooling trend in the Bay Area right now for gifted kids. I'm not sure how influenced this school is around that though.

So many good thoughts and questions here! I am really curious to see what happens with this school. It has some great talent behind it on the tech side, but also including the head teacher who is from a well-known local private gifted school.

Mom to DS9 and DD6