From my perspective, it's not the school's job to make our kids feel good about themselves. They are there to provide a challenging environment and give children objective, normed feedback about their performance (how well are you doing compared to standards and your peers).

So I wouldn't write, because I don't agree that the school ought

"They were congratulated in morning announcements, and given certificates by principal."

That is unheard of here. Even in first grade, there is only one chance to get a certificate, and that's at the end of the year if you complete activities worth approximately 40-50 hours worth of work and several challenges (effort based, so everyone has to work equally hard, but you can start from any point--I love this part of it).

"From what he says, he seems to feel unvalued by the school, and that his achievement doesn’t matter to them."

It probably doesn't. He's special to his own family but not to the school. The school provides him with a service, and as far as I know that doesn't include making him feel proud. Pride is something you get from doing the right thing and overcoming adversity or challenging yourself, not from praise.

I agree with the others--this is a good lesson in finding intrinsic motivation and working on self-esteem that comes from accomplishment and not praise.

Last edited by binip; 03/14/14 11:55 AM.