I think the beauty of technology is that it is ever-changing. I'm not a coder/developer/engineer, but I work in the design and strategy of creating systems. I received a degree in 3D animation, but I've always been on a leading edge of what can be done with the web. I did not go to school to learn what I know because there wasn't a school that existed at the time. I've just learned through trial and error and have been fortunate enough to make more right decisions than wrong ones.

There are now schools that teach basics, but it's still a life-long learning experience. Things change, often by leaps and bounds. Tech will always be chasing the hot new thing. It has catered to the young, innovative people that immediately want to start a business. As a biz-owner, it is easy to start a biz and hard to run one. $30k is impressive when you live at home and don't have employees. In Silicon Valley, that will pay for 3-4 months of living. They better have another solid idea ready. Most of them will fail, but some get purchased by larger companies. If they fail, then they can try again. They will learn along the way. There's no reason to get an MBA and a computer science degree.

As long as they network, they can get another job. I worked with 17 year old at his first real job. He's now the head of the tech department of an agency. He didn't go to school either. I was 20 when I got my first tech job too. Age means little in tech. Talent and passion are worth more than a formal education in 4 years ago best tech. It's awesome these teens are go-getters. That's the "grit"!

Lastly, SXSW is a joke. I've been there enough to know that is not a good place to go for a teen. Deals are not made, the panels are weak more often than not, and everyone is competing for attention. It is all noise, so only the big startups with money will stick out.

Mom to DS9 and DD6