Practically my entire family on my husband's side are teachers. The teachers in my family are rich. I am not even kidding - motor yachts and all! Really nice lives. But mostly because they ran/run businesses (particularly summer type businesses) during all of their time off. One had a bike shop. The other has a pool installation and supply business. They retired at 50 get their benefits and run their businesses. We do have ones who are not rich in the family - just middle class. Some seem to be struggling a little depending on how many kids they have and where they live. The ones who do not do a business during in addition to teaching are often criticized by the ones the do behind there backs. And then there is one family who was kind of struggling, no additional business but once he bacme a principal they seem to be very well now. Not weighing in on either side here but just adding how it looks in my family. Definitely not a bad gig from my view here! But I will add none of them ever taught in the inner city - all are in very nice districts.

Last edited by Irena; 03/11/14 08:04 AM.