Originally Posted by JenT
Hi all, I have posted about my 7 year old a few times, but this is about my 12 year old 7th grader.

She is gifted, although not to the degree that my son is. We had her take the ACT for practice and I just got her scores.

She got a 20 composite score.
English 24
Math 16
Reading 19
Science 19

They have ranks compared to high school graduates, but nothing about kids her age.

It's interesting, she thought the Reading was easiest, and she scored higher on the English. She said she the Math and Science were both really hard.

Any thoughts on these? Thank you!
Well my older daughter took the ACT in her junior & senior year but I don't feel like revealing her scores here so it's hard for me to comment on the scores. If she was a gifted high school junior, these would be low. But are fairly impressive for a 7th grader.

I am not surprised that she found the Math & Science really hard. The ACT tests more on what students KNOW & learn in school, than necessary their ability. The Math tests through Algebra II, has your daughter finished Algebra II? It tests higher level math than the SAT, but less deductive reasoning. If one has done well in regular high school math, one should be able to do well. And the science section is mostly reading graphs & paragraphs and being able to analyze them. It expects that students have experience reading high school level science texts and analyzing them.

Just curious why you had your daughter take the ACT?