Okay, I am considering signing up DS for one of the math courses via AOPS. It will probably be Counting & Probability due to the timing - he needs math curriculum for the last quarter of school this year. However, he may balk at the instructional time as it takes an hour and a half one day a week, during his usual free time. DS may be more amenable to just indepenedently studying the book along with practicing problems on Alcumus, particularly if I can confirm that his once a week math instructor will provide any needed instructions. If this doesn't meet with the school's approval, I can easily provide the instruction myself but in smaller chunks (certainly not 90 minutes at a time once a week).

Anyhow, there I was at the AOPS website to order the books. Then I decided I wanted both the Counting & Probability set and the Number Theory Set so DS will have more of a choice. Then I started thinking maybe I should get the Geometry set as a reference while I am at it. Then I found these sample pages in the Geometry book and I am not so sure. Okay, I will buy the Counting & Probability as well as Number Theory sets since these will fit our purposes.

What I mean is that I am not sure about the Geometry set. DS will take Geometry next year and he will be using whatever book the school provides - I don't know which one as I haven't look into it yet. I am rambling but I do have a question specifically about the Geometry book. I notices from the two pages that it is presented in very simple language, almost geared toward a younger audience, if that makes sense? It is very different from other Geomtery texts that I have seen. However, it is only 2 pages so perhaps that is not enough to make a judgment? I seem to recall very high opinions about the Geometry course itself, but what about the book? Is it a good comprehensive text? Will using this text cause any difficulties? Alcumus itself provides sophisticated problems so my inclination is to assume the book would be very good. Anyone who have actually used the text or can compare to other decent textbooks?

I can just buy the other two sets first, but I figure I might as well buy all three sets at the same time if I am going to do so.