Based purely on reading these boards and my DS' and DD's testing, a significant gap is usually interpreted as the difference of a "standard deviation" between scores. On the WISC, a standard deviation in 15 points. If the difference is less than a standard deviation between scores no one seems to be concerned about that. I would say a 7 point difference between the VCI and PRI is not significant.

The most significant gap in your DS' scores is the 2 standard deviation one between VCI and PSI. I am also interested to hear that he hit the ceiling on one of the PRI subtests but scored a 127 overall. He probably has significant variation among his subtest scores which also could be significant.

You say he is going to an audiologist. Have you had him evaluated by a developmental optometrist for tracking and convergence issues? What else does you tester recommend? Clearly something is going on based your description of his writing and spelling issues. If I were you I would explore vision issues as well.

I would suggest reading "The Mislabeled Child," especially the chapters on auditory issues, vision issues, dysgraphia and sensory processing. I saw this book mentioned many times on this board but ignored it because I thought it only applied to distinguishing ADHD from other LDs. It does do that but, more importantly, the book clearly and simply explains the common LDs and how to tease them out from each other. I strongly recommend it.