Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Originally Posted by ruazkaz
This is his second AoPS course (first was Intro to Programming) and I like their material.
Did he do the Intro to Programming as a Class? I don't see books? How old was he when he completed it. Just wondering if it was something my son could do as self study this summer.
There was no textbook when my son took the class. There are lots of books on Python, but some of them are aimed at professional programmers who have used other languages. You can search Amazon for "python computer science" to find books on Python for introductory computer science classes which do not assume prior programming experience. The book "Introduction to Computer Science Using Python: A Computational Problem-Solving Focus" by Charles Dierbach is recommended by Guido van Rossum, the creator of Python.
I have python & C, & C++ etc books. Professionally I am a computer programmer (although I haven't worked in a few years) & my husband is also in the field. Tried teaching my son a little programming when he was 12 and it didn't really work.

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/28/14 10:23 AM.