Originally Posted by Lukemac
At age 5 he received the FSIQ 145. Full tested now due to concerns over ADHD... Such a big drop. Very concerning for tr family.

Were the concerns re ADHD due to lack of attention/focus or behaviors? My dd who had the vision challenge *looked* like she had hyperactive ADHD when she was young - she couldn't sit still. When I gave her a multi-step direction such as "pick up your socks and take them to the laundry room" she'd pick up the socks and get lost in the hall and never make it to the laundry room. She didn't look like she was having vision issues, instead she looked like she couldn't focus her brain. Those behaviors disappeared after vision therapy. Issues with vision can be tough to recognize, but there's a very clear indicator in the test scores that vision might be an issue. Not necessarily eyesight, but how well the eyes work *together*.

polarbear

ps - fwiw, I wouldn't focus on worry over the drop in overall scores - most of the scores seem relatively consistent from subtest to subtest, which (jmo) indicates that those scores are probably realistic. What I would absolutely dig into is why the coding, block design and comprehension subtests are so low relative to the other subtests - as well as trying to understand whatever behaviors/etc prompted the testing and concern re ADHD.

pps - also wanted to add - there is a component of vision involved in the coding subtest also, and it's a timed subtest. The vision requirement isn't as intense as it is in symbol search, but vision might be the reason it's semi-relatively low compared to other scores.

ppps - sorry about all the ps's! I keep thinking of "just one more thing" - anyway, when my dd was having vision issues, she didn't make eye contact. You'd look at her, and she'd look back out of the corner of her eyes. When she was working on schoolwork/reading etc, she would get her head close to the table and turn her head around in funny positions etc. She didn't like to sit in chairs and she fell out of chairs frequently. She was also a really sloppy eater - we could always tell which chair she'd sat at during dinner because of the mess of crumbs all around it, long after she'd outgrown toddlerhood. Some of that or none of that might apply to your friend's child, but if some of it sounds familiar, those again might be symptoms of a vision challenge.

Last edited by polarbear; 02/26/14 09:42 AM.