DD took the CogAT and it was the other way around, she did well on the verbal section because she finished it, and the worst on the quantitative section because she left half of that section blank. She has processing speed issues/ADHD. I had to make about 10 phone calls/emails but the district ultimately "spoiled" those records (took them out) and put in her WISC instead which showed the opposite--she is highest in non-verbal and her achievement test scores show her math ability to be higher than reading so at least now it makes sense.

The teacher at the beginning of the year saw the CogAT scores and ridiculous "profile" showing her to be very strong in verbal ability and weak in non-verbal/quantitative. Of course the teacher wasn't clued into the fact that she left half the test blank on the quantitative and non-verbal sections. She was actually going to plan curriculum based on that test, thinking that DD must be really advanced in reading and not-so-good with math! Scary! It's actually math that she is strongest in. It really bothers me that so many districts are giving this test, and the huge gaps that people are seeing. If there is such a big gap the test should be invalidated. If you can get a score report, you may be able to find out how many questions were answered. Some versions of the CogAT (third grade and above?) are timed. DD was in second grade and had just turned 7, but was given the third grade timed version. I didn't know it was timed, or wouldn't have given permission for it. I'm glad to hear they are going to do more testing. Hopefully they will put those results in place of the CogAT (or whatever test it was, if it wasn't the CogAT).