Originally Posted by cdfox
Others, such as Diane Ravitch who initially supported CC and Bush jr, have reversed course and believe it's a bunch of poppycock. They say that the US in particular has never scored high on those standardized tests. Moreover, Ravitch says that standardized test score argument is weak when we consider the overall creativity and originality of US patents, technologies, or companies such as Google and Facebook.

Oh dear.

I wondered how many of those patent holders came from elsewhere, and if she only counted American-educated inventors.

Someone else asked the same question in the comments section. The reply was what I would expect from someone who DIDN'T control appropriately:

Jim, December 8, 2013 at 8:12 pm

“And when it came to creativity, the U.S. “clobbered the world,” with more patents per million people than any other nation.”

Well, if we’re using this measure to rate this country’s education system, we should exclude patents gained by people who received their education outside the US and immigrated. I’ll bet that’s a lot of them.

dianeravitch December 8, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Jim, why did they immigrate here? Freedom? Opportunity? Great universities?

Can anyone Name That Formal Fallacy?

Seriously, this what edumacator types do when you catch them trying to distort something: change the subject.