I think it depends on the teacher. DS is in first grade. His last teacher didn't do anything for him at all, but the new one is on top of things and said she needs to work on his writing and is trying to figure out what else to do for him. A couple days after he started his new school I sent her an email and said that I would be sending him in on his own, so if he doesn't show up in class it's because he is wandering the hallways or can't figure out how to get his stuff in his locker. I wasn't even expecting a response but she wrote back saying she would watch for him and follow him to see if he could do things on his own. Totally different from his last teacher. He has an IEP, and it didn't matter, the old teacher didn't even do things like use the slant board the school OT gave her. She seemed to view modifications/accommodations as something DS would have to do on his own, she wasn't going to bother with it.

Last year in kindergarten he had a pretty severe head injury involving skull fractures bad enough that he had brain damage and air in his brain. He went back to school with an eye patch on his good eye, and the eye that wasn't covered did not move or track at all. He also had a big neck brace and couldn't turn his head at all. I don't think the teacher did anything special for him. I kept asking if he should have an aide because I was worried about him falling or someone knocking him over when his skull was already fractured. My "favorite" memory was when I went to the school to drop off DD's backpack a couple weeks after the head injury, and pulled up in my car. The teacher had the kids lined up to go out to the bus for a field trip. The sidewalk was covered with ice and the kid in front of DS fell flat on his back. The teacher was already on the bus and no one was helping DS or holding his hand. He was clumsy with motor impairments even before the head injury. No idea what she was thinking, having a kid with a skull fracture and severely impaired vision walk on glaze ice! I worried every day about him but the doctor wrote a note saying he should be in school (probably thinking they would actually take care of him). That is the how horrible the school was. He already had an IEP, it wouldn't have been hard for someone to call a meeting and figure out what temporary things to do for him. His vision was severely impaired for at least 4-5 months and no one knew if it would ever be normal again. In defense of the teacher, she did seem to actually care about the "gifted" part of him and tried to give him work at the correct level.

DD's teacher this year wasn't doing anything for her ADHD/slow processing speed, except some very minor things (like letting her use headphones). Now we are talking about it more and what might help her in the classroom. Teacher knows she is eligible for a 504 but it hasn't been written yet. She is 8 in third grade.