I haven't come here in a long time, I got so wrapped up in my son's other issues that I lost focus on the gifted side.

My son's IEP team agreed that he should be in accelerated math. The gifted math teacher does not agree. She's basing it on the quantitative part of the Cogat. His results were

verbal 140 stanine 9
quantitive 97 stanine 5 (items 52, attempts 30, correct 27)
nonverbal 137 stantine 9
VQN 129 and a stanine of 9.

I looked at the interpretation online and it said that those with low quantitative scores often score low in math in other tests. My son does not, he consistently scores in the 95+ percentile. I feel this is reflective of his disability not his ability. He has Tourette's as well as anxiety, especially when it comes to math. He has more tics when he's anxious and also becomes more unfocused. He performs his worst when doing timed math tests.

I wanted to run it by the test experts here to make sure I'm interpreting it correctly. I plan to contact a member of the IEP team who is incredibly helpful and he also said quite strongly he should be in gifted math. I don't want him in a place that won't fit but I fear if speed is what makes it fit then he'll never make it although intellectually he can do it.