Originally Posted by jellyb
Who wants to learn chemistry by just looking at pictures and computer simulations? He wants the labs and the opportunity to actually mix those chemicals!
There are some chemistry kits found online and in educational specialty shops, which are meant for use at home.

Gifted coordinator... and the vice principal presented a proposal: they want DS to skip 8th grade next year and go straight to high school (9th). Apparently, all of DS's teachers (not just science) have reported that he is so far above his peers that they do not think they are meeting his academic needs. Even the advanced classes are not helping, as he is far above the others in those, too.

I was shocked to hear them offer this out of the blue! They mentioned that their only concerns are social in nature. DS is quiet and a bit shy. He is well liked, but prefers to stick with just 4 of his closest friends. The principal said they were concerned about how he would handle being away from his friends and in a completely different school building.

In the event that we decide not to skip the entire grade, they offered the option of sending DS to 9th grade for just a couple of classes each day. He could return to 8th grade for lunch and special classes. They suggested that he consider accelerated biology and chemistry classes with labs. In addition, they said he could choose a couple of other classes that interest him (maybe a programming, architecture, or engineering class) and spend 1/2 of the day in the 9th grade setting and 1/2 in the 8th grade.

In order to even consider these options, I must find a way of overcoming my own, personal bias against grade skipping. I was moved from 3rd into 4th grade as a child, and it was a terrible, stressful experience for me. I swore I would never even consider allowing my children to grade skip. I can't believe I am even considering this option right now!

My main motivating factor right now is DS's frustration level. He is exhausted by the repetition in his current classes. He spends much of his day doing busywork to allow his classmates to learn concepts that he understands in 15 minutes. He told us that he needs a change. I know I must do something to help him--and soon.

I'm so sorry to hear of your negative acceleration experience years ago. For the past decade or more the gold standard in grade skipping (whole grade acceleration) has been the Iowa Acceleration Scale. Info here - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10053.aspxm I'm familiar with up to 3 years of successful grade acceleration.

Some positive grade skip stories here: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10651.aspx

Genius Denied here - http://www.geniusdenied.com/

Have you talked to your son about the grade skip?

You may also wish to schedule an appointment with the high school advisor and have your son work with the advisor in choosing courses. Your son may want to shadow for a day (or more) to visit potential courses to assist in making his decision.

Does your son enjoy a sport, club, or extracurricular which would help him make new friends, and keep in touch with his old friends? The high school advisor may also be helpful in making some selections in this area.

The school sounds very positive and flexible, so that will help ensure success whatever choice is made and adjusted for the best possible fit. smile