Originally Posted by Dude
My DD9 often expresses the same thing. She's a perfectionist who often pays too much attention to the negative in everything, and that means she turns it on herself as well. I can ask her to name one thing she likes about herself, and she won't answer. It's really sad, because she has so much going for her, and yet I can see at times where her lack of self-assurance becomes self-defeating.

Other times she's entirely self-confident, so it seems to be a mood thing.

Lately we've been working on her paying more attention to the good in other people, and we've seen a change in her behavior through that. Hopefully she can turn that change towards her introspection as well.

Yes-- and getting them outside of their own heads a bit can help, as well. Being in an echo chamber full time isn't a good space for some people.

I try not to make too much of this kind of angst-ridden statement from my DD. (Inside, I'm thinking; What? Are you Holden Caulfield or something?? Sheesh! But outwardly I try to be more patient with it.)

Journaling can be good for children who have feelings that are private but need to get "out." On the other hand, for already-introspective kids, too much navel-gazing can go bad places. My DD seems to be one of those-- though she does make statements like this occasionally when her mood is all wrong and everything about the world (and her in it) feels awkward and mismatched.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.