Dazey: OTOH, perhaps a misanthropic cannibal would say that "Heaven is other people FOR breakfast." <smirk>

Originally Posted by Wren
Interesting read, but it seems that he has defined the classic sales person as extrovert and the analyst as introvert. And of course he pounds the table that introverts are smarter but extroverts make all the money.

I truly admire the "salesperson" (including many politicians) who can go out there and play the game but I am not sure that is the only extrovert personality. I think there are extrovert personalities that do require downtime and also have disdain for the masses. Just because one is an extrovert, doesn't mean you love people. And there are introverts that are the shy, reclusive types, with not great social skills.

Black, white and shades of grey.

Ren

Well, by definition, being an extrovert means that you are *recharged* by people. I don't think he really means that *all* extroverts love *all* people *all* the time, any more than he's saying that all introverts hate people and never, ever want to be with people. Certainly the article oversimplifies a bit by breaking it down into strict introvert and extrovert categories. Most people are a little of both, so this binary isn't really accurate. But as one orientation or the other tends to dominate in a given person and as this is a SHORT article, not a dissertation on the topic, that seems to me to be a fair simplification to make.

As for the analyst/salesperson stereotypes, I think he's arguing against them, saying that introverts AREN'T the stereotype. He makes the point that introverts can be great in a presentation before a big group or one-on-one, and I don't think that's stereotypical analyst behavior--the stereotype is that analyst types are unable to function socially at all. He talks about how negative the adjectives used to describe introverts are when compared to the ones used for extroverts. I think he's saying that this characterization of introverts is inaccurate and unfair.

He doesn't say that introverts can *never* be shy, just that one should not *assume* that shyness is why introverts are quiet or prefer their alone time. Introvert and shy are not the same thing is the point there.

I think you're also taking seriously some things that were intended to be tongue-in-cheek. Like the money thing. The author isn't arguing that extroverts make all the money; he's (humorously) criticizing a book that claims they do. Big difference! And usually when he is overstating a bit, he's exaggerating for comic effect.

Frankly, I think you've rather missed the point of the article. <shrug> Luckily, that doesn't really matter. It's a "just for fun" thing, supposed to make people smile. smile

Kriston