Exactly-- and while my own DD ultimately opted not to apply to elite institutions, preferring to save the $$ and only apply (early round, anyway) to the truly sure thing with a few bells and whistles to make it a good fit, she had a similar resume.

State-level competition in multiple 4-H projects-- small animals, communications, natural resources and expressive arts/home ec-- including some state championships and robust showing at the state level otherwise. This isn't a completely done deal even now, and in her last year, it's possible that she will achieve national recognition in a couple of areas. Given that we live in a state with a VERY robust 4-H program, there is some serious competition.

Community service-- long-term investment in the SAME cause/organization is viewed much more positively than dilletentism. DD has about 1200 hours of community service in high school, but anything that she saw fit to mention to colleges she definitely had spent more than 50 hours annually upon. She didn't even mention the little stuff, because that too often looks like "I did this to check a box for community service."

One thing that others looking at her on paper continuously remarked upon was that there was more DEPTH to her resume than seems typical. That is, she was able to reveal surprises at each step, and that sets her apart from the automata that look more or less "perfect" on paper, but are about what sells well on paper, too, and nothing more. They are kids who are "looking to impress" and DD is a kid who IS impressive precisely because it's clear that she mostly is able to pick and choose exactly WHICH facets to showcase, leaving others to lie unexplored.

1. Her transcripts contain some obvious "I took this because I wanted to" electives that are quirky or seem relatively oblivious to the college selection machine-- and her transcripts AREN'T (quite) perfect.

2. Hobbies/activities that are not typical among cohort or age group somehow... so while riding horses might be common, competing in barrel racing? Not so much (varies regionally). Dog ownership/handling might be (relatively) common, but being a Dog Freestyler is not. Playing the piano? Common. Playing STRIDE and improvisational jazz? Not.

3. Essays that hint at meaningful life experiences not even hinted at in items 1 or 2.

4. Interviews that hint at life experiences, interests, and passions not even hinted at in items 1, 2, or 3.

In other words, those are things that seem to make a person seem more mature and real than any hot-house plant. smile

From what we've seen, colleges like this about the way cats like catnip-- some more than others, but this IS the secret sauce that all of them like.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.