How modest is he at 6.5? My son had no modesty until age 12 so it was no problem. My son was 5 when this was a problem.

I would bring a nail file or a stack of papers to be read,sorted and signed, or some other task into his room and sit on his bed and prompt him to move onto the next task on the list. He was a happy, talkative, distractible morning person when he was little with 1000 thoughts going through his head and I had to agree with him or listen to him babble and just keep nudging him along.

It meant that we got up earlier, we did his entire routine until he was completely ready...then he was able to read, watch a DVD of cyberchase, play with Legos, or whatever and then I went and got ready.

He is now older and has completely outgrown this. Has his routine down to the minute and sharpens his pencils at 6:36 every single morning. Having to catch a bus changed him.

Child number two hops out of bed a bit grumpier at first, is completely ready in 10 minutes with only a quick question about the weather forecast. Never once had to babysit him. He eats school breakfast though so has one less thing to worry about. Once he is completely ready he is cheerful.

Last edited by Sweetie; 01/15/14 10:20 AM.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary