Hi Small Town,
Welcome! So glad you found us!

Questions - is the K program full day or half day?
Would the school allow you to pay for K as if you were an 'out of district' family? Much cheaper than private school anyway!

Also - don't rule out private schools - many offer Financial Aid. Also - as the years rolled by, I've come to a new perspective on what the family can and can't afford. My understanding is that many schools use a 3rd party such as http://www.psas.org/onlineapp.aspx where you give them your numbers and they calculate how much school you 'should' (LOL!) be able to afford and then get this info back to the school so that the school can give out it's need-based money.

If there was one thing that I wish I had done differently, I wish I had instituted a "in our family each child does 10 minutes times the grade number of homework, and if the teacher doesn't provide it, then MOM or DAD will." I don't know if my son would have had the stamina to go to school and then come home and do 'momwork' but I think that if I had started expecting in earlier, then we would have had a chance.

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com