Over the past year we've tried to introduce animated kids movies, such as Toy Story, to DD4. These movies all tend to follow a similar arc - the main character has to overcome a great set back or triumphs over being an outcast and at the end he realizes how truly strong/great he always was and regains his self confidence. You know the typical story.

When watching these movies DD feels so upset for the plight of the characters that she sobs uncontrollably and will not stop. She is extremely empathetic and feels bad that they are being mistreated or for how Woody feels. We usually stop watching because she's too upset about what is happening.

With the holidays here there are a lot of animated specials where characters "discover the meaning of Christmas" that involve similar plot lines. Most of the other kids we know are currently watching these movies along with all of the other animated Disney princess movies - which DD finds either upsetting or boring.

Is this something that anyone has gone through? How can I help her learn to gain some control over feeling like this? I know she logically understands the story line but when it's happing it's too much for her. I remember having a lot of intense feelings like this as a kid but I don't think it was to this extent.

It's not a priority that we watch these movies. I just want to help her be able to have some coping mechanism for her emotions. For now we are sticking with watching "How it's Made" on Discovery or "Food Factory" on food network and other kids science shows. I wonder if they have Christmas specials... smile
Thanks!

Last edited by eyreapparent; 12/18/13 05:02 AM.