Originally Posted by qxp
Is your son a DYS?

No. And Epsilon Camp has similar cutoffs. DS7 exceeds the 145 cutoff for math achievement by a ton, but doesn't have the IQ score (wide scatter, 6 subtests 15-18, 4 subtests 7-11). The testing was done for free by a school, and after that I came across this forum when googling for information to understand scores, so hadn't heard of DYS. We decided we weren't going to bother with IQ testing again. In math, I believe competition results will count for more, and can ultimately distinguish those at high level in math specifically. It's actually a bit odd that they ask for an IQ score (maybe they think they don't have much to go on at these ages and want an extra filter). The "older" camps don't seem to mention such scores at all. I have no doubt that DS7 is mathematically good enough for this camp (when he's older, maybe 2015), so I'm tempted to say, "here are his scores/results/schoolwork/recommendation, obviously he's good enough, we're not doing IQ testing, take it or leave it". Anyone else considered this approach?
[/quote]

I think the thinking behind IQ has to do an additional filter plus achievement testing at that age can be tricky. Dottie may know more, but my understanding is that a 5 yo with high WJIII scores is not as impressive as a 9yo with high WJII scores. On Epsilon camp admissions, they ask for the arithmetic subtest if possible. If your son had this as a subtest and did well (or hit the ceiling), I would ask for them to review even without qualifying IQ scores.