My daughter went to a K-8, where the 6-8 was a "small" middle school. 6th grade rotated classes same as the older students. Because the middle school was small, and the younger kids were also at the same school it kept most of the kids more innocent.

My son attended 6th grade in the elementary. (Because it was where the pullout GT program was.) It was a total disaster, but that was not all because it was a K-6. He was really frustrated being stuck in "little" kids school having to follow rules set up for the younger kids.

Personally, I went to a 6-8 middle school and this feels normal for me. At that school, the 6th graders didn't mix much with the older kids. I think there are pro's & con's. Our school district had planned to move 6th to the junior high's and then backed out of that decision. For a gifted child, I think it's a good thing because more challenging classes might be available. And teachers might be subject trained, rather than be "general" teachers.

Not matter what you do, 6th grade is still full of preteens. They are still going to be at a very awkward age socially. It really depends on how the school handles it.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/03/13 10:38 PM.