Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
honestly, i think a lot of the resistance comes from the (false) assumption that gifted kids will be just fine without any intervention. i made that mistake myself when it came to DD5 - i literally thought, "well, she's fairly bright, so school should be a snap for her" (oh my, that was a rude awakening!)

of course, that doesn't explain why individual no-cost/low-cost interventions are such a giant wrangle, but it might explain the lack of political will.

I heard this a lot as a child. I thought therefore if I couldn't make school work it must be my fault - and later just that maybe I wasn't very bright (intellectually I knew I was but why was I always in the upper class in a composite - maybe all the other kids were better - one case where the absence of grades was a problem). So I just buried myself in a book and ignored school as much as I could.

But I still hear things like that and people saying send the kids who have a haelrder time academically to private schools not the bright ones who will do well anywhere.

In defence of my parents I think it did work for them. But schools in the 1950's early 1960's were more slanted towards academic success.