I am curious about what your school is actually proposing - I'm not sure if what your school is suggesting is what many of us here think of as an immersion program (half-day/half-subjects taught in one language, half-day/other-half-subjects taught in second language), or if they are suggesting is something like an hour-long class that is taught via immersion?

I also am not really sure why the school thinks only an exceptionally gifted child would be able to "handle" an immersion class? I've known kids all over the IQ spectrum who've been instructed in foreign languages (typically an immersive-type approach) starting at very young ages, some as early as toddlers, and young children often do really well with immersive instruction. FWIW our school district offers immersion programs which require children start in the program in kindergarten, and there is no IQ/ability requirement for admission.

My gut feeling is to take the offer, but I would really like to understand a little bit more about what they are actually offering.

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 11/18/13 03:36 PM.