DD8 is in 3rd grade and in a "cluster group" with 3 other kids identified gifted via ability testing and achievement scores. There are 3 things that I have identified that happen w/ this cluster group. The cluster-grouping is district policy and happens in each grade at every school. But I'm not sure that this is what normally happens with a cluster group, or if this teacher is simply doing things poorly.

1). They get 4th grade spelling words rather than 3rd
2). The get to choose higher level books ("enriched" books) for free-reading time which look to be around 5th-6th grade level. Not sure if they have to report or write anything about the books. They do not meet with the teacher or talk about the books. There are no ability groups for reading. They still have to do the regular third grade reading curriculum and third grade level worksheets.
3.) While the rest of the class is being lectured on regular math, the cluster group kids (at times) get to work on their "math enrichment packets". They do not get to talk to each other or ask the teacher questions. So today DD told me she couldn't figure out how to make her calculator work (the math is 5th or 6th grade level word problems with advanced computations needed). Plus there are a few terms in her packet that she does not understand or forgot like how to find an average--these have not been taught in the regular curriculum and I haven't been after-schooling her for math. The teacher marks questions wrong, gives the packet back, and tells the kids to keep working on it--does not help them.

Does this seem odd? I can understand wanting kids to try to figure things out, but having a kid stare at something in endless confusion on their own when they have never learned the concepts, like how to find an average???

When I heard DD was going to be put in the cluster group, I thought the kids would actually work together as a group and the teacher would instruct them on advanced level concepts, but this is not the case. I know it's better than nothing, but the kids are basically teaching themselves independently and that's what the "cluster group" is all about. Thoughts?