I am still a little bit confused about what your teacher wants - I think she's looking for word problems for him to do as differentiation, but that don't require him to write much?

Aleks has word problems - the way you answer is putting the cursor inside a box, clicking on it, and then typing the number etc. I think it would work ok for a beginning typist.

A few notes: when our ds was learning to type, we were encouraged to let him figure out his own typing system rather than require that he use traditional touch typing. Apparently it's a lot easier for children to type faster if you just let them try and come up with their own key-finger rules - I've heard that some kids can type fast using just their thumb and first finger, similar to texting. If you want to let your child use their own inventive typing, you can still use touch-type teaching software, just ignore the directions for which fingers to use.

Aleks - it's easy to go in and create "quizzes" with any number of problems on whichever subjects you want to choose for the student - so that's one way a teacher could custom-design a set of problems for a student to work on (or you could do it as the parent if he had a home account).

There's a software package called "MathPad Plus" which was recommended for my ds when he was in elementary school - it allows kids to type in addition/subtraction/multiplication etc equations with plus/minus top-down/borrowing like they would calculate them on paper. My ds didn't ever actually use this, and I don't know if it's still available, but it's a nice tool.

My ds has always scanned in worksheets. On the laptop, he scanned to pdf format with a portable scanner (Doxy) - it's easy to use and easily fits into a backpack. He used Adobe Pro to type on the worksheets simply because that's software we already had at home. Paperport was recommended as an alternative. On his iPad, he uses JotNot to scan to pdf and has an app that I can't remember the name of that allows him to type in a pdf file.

He's also gone back and forth over time between using the computer and using handwriting to complete his math homework.

polarbear