FWIW my dysgraphic ds went through ability/achievement testing at 5 for a gifted program, and there were no issues found re 2e - but 3 years later in 2nd grade h was literally drowning at school due to severe 2e issues. When we looked back at the previous tests, the discrepancies in test scores that are indicative of his challenge were already there, but because we hadn't seen any reason to think there was an issue, the psych wasn't looking for it and she only saw a very bright high-overall-IQ kid. I'm guessing you were already looking for 2e issues when your ds was tested at 6 (just a guess based on what you wrote in the post above) - even if you were and they didn't jump up screaming from the test results, my guess is indications were already there, but the challenges in academics etc at the time hadn't increased to the point your ds had trouble keeping up.

My dd9 has a dyslexia diagnosis - it's not classic dyslexia, but it's also not really "stealth dyslexia". FWIW, she appeared to be way ahead in early reading, was at the top of her class in K/1, then dropped back to just a bit higher than average in 2nd, and continued to fall behind until the books she was reading were complex enough she could gather meaning from context - then she was reading back at grade level and/or above - but again, as time went by, she started slipping relative to peers again, as well as having difficulty reading instructions (short-sentences etc). She's a kid who does *not* want anyone to know something is difficult for her, and her HG-abilities make it difficult to realize she's having a tough time reading.

I'm curious about your eye dr suggesting dyslexia - is this a regular eye dr or a developmental optometrist? Are they suggesting vision issues such as tracking etc or are they suggesting dyslexia? Vision challenges are often present in dyslexic people, but an eye dr wouldn't suggest dyslexia (I don't think) unless maybe you had asked about possible tracking/convergence etc and the dr didn't see it and suggested reading issues were dyslexia related, not vision related?

polarbear