DD5 has a just-beyond-the-cut-off birthdate and my request to start K early was denied. She's now in K, after a year of DD displeasure, and has a teacher who is giving her some grade 1 work already (teacher initiated - imagine that!). DD5 is adamant that she will be skipping grade 1 and is tolerating K only on that understanding. Leaving aside my obvious need for a copy of The Manipulative Child, I do agree with her about the skip.

I am wondering how extensively, if at all, those of you who successfully advocated for a skip attempted to cover off the target year's curriculum prior to advocating?

At home DD5 is already zooming through the math workbooks I know the school uses in grade 1. I am intending to add the spelling and writing workbooks, both for her pleasure (where else could I post that without sounding delusional!) and as documentation for the school. When early entry was denied, I was told a skip would be possible, if appropriate. I don't know of anyone who's done it at the school, so I don't know what 'appropriate' means in this context and I don't intend to ask until I have my documentation ready.

My plan is to have her complete as much of the workbooks as she wants, test in January/February, complete the Iowa Acceleration Scale and bring it all to the school February/March. Is that a realistic time frame or do I need to start earlier? The school is putting a lot of effort into her 2E older brother, which I'd prefer not to distract them from during this term.

Many thanks.