DIBELS is a test of reading fluency. The child (at least in the district I worked in last year) reads 3 passages and is timed for 1 minute, while the examiner marks off errors. The total score is the correct words per minute. The high and low scores are thrown out to get a final score.

You can probably find numbered reading passages online at the right grade level and test him yourself. EasyCBM is similar to DIBELS. For second grade, the 50th percentile in the fall is 49 correct wpm and 93 in the spring (I have a chart). The 90th percentile in second grade is 99 wpm in the fall and 143 in the spring. I remember DD in second grade (last year) was around 150 in fall and just over 200 in the spring and that was 99th percentile for both.

It could be that there was a problem with the test he was given...maybe they miscalculated his score for instance. Or your DS was nervous or not cooperating.

I'm not sure what DRA is, I always used A-Z (I worked as a tutor last year). But I do know that fluency is highly correlated to comprehension.

I read HowlerKarma's post and I'm not aware of DIBELS having nonsense words like that, however the district I was in used CBM's, and they were just normal reading passages. I know my kids' school uses DIBELS.

Last edited by blackcat; 10/06/13 11:18 AM.