Originally Posted by Dottie
If you google her, it's not the most positive search, ROFL!

http://dartreview.com/issues/1.13.99/nmap.html

In her defense, I continue to think a well rounded approach is best. It IS nice to show the why's.....but you simply have to follow that up with algorithms that work, especially if you expect the kid to progress into advanced maths.

FWIW, the "experience" part...our school dived head first into Everyday Math, a good program, albeit a little extreme. The first few years were tough. We still use it, but now supplement it with a good bit of "tradition". This combined approach really works well. I still do supplement at home with a little "old school".

Maybe DS is as ahead as he is merely because he's so strong in both camps? (Maybe I'm just a great teacher, grin )

I think that article would make a good argument about why teachers object to standardized testing. It's fun and exciting to help children explore different ideas, getting the right answer isn't the important part for those teachers; it appears many teachers don't even know the right answer. But to pass standardized testing the child must learn the algorithms to get the correct answer, and that can be tedious at times.