Sorry to hear the math club wasn't off to a great start for your DS, Zen Scanner. If it helps, DD has been doing EPGY for awhile but is having difficulty with preparing for the final because it's a totally different format/approach than she experienced from the class, plus it's all written on paper (vs. on the computer, which is weird for me to think about in that direction but for her I guess is something she is not used to). So maybe your DS just needs practice having problems introduced in a similar way? (maybe think procedure, versus content??) For DD, writing things down on scratch paper in a legible way, with appropriate numbering (so she could get partial credit, possibly) is not something we were thinking about practicing during the course and so now apparently feels strange to her, on top of reviewing stuff she hasn't seen for awhile.

We are also in NC and have not found a math club locally that is gearing up for any kind of competition--I would love to find something online, but I am not sure they exist. Which in this day and age seems odd. Would love to be proved wrong. smile

Best of luck!