We did an eval this summer for my DS who was 9 then, just turned 10, so a little older than your dd. We told him that the doctor was someone who studied how people think and learn and that she would be able to give us some ideas about what would make learning more comfortable for him in the classroom (he had been complaining of boredom and headaches). We also asked him if he would like to go talk to her to help figure some of these things out and he enthusiastically agreed to it.

He's in the gifted program so he is already aware of that label, but I did not talk about the eval in those terms or talk about it as a test, etc. And for us, it really wasn't primarily about finding out how smart he is and we weren't trying to get him into a particular program. What we told him is the truth. There are challenges for him at school that we don't fully understand and we are hoping that the eval will shed some light on them and help make his school experience better.

I think it helped to show him how it would benefit him and solicit his cooperation so that he had some investment in the experience as well.

Last edited by LNEsMom; 09/18/13 09:20 AM. Reason: correct typo