I wrote a little story for HoagiesPage -
http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/analogies.htm

It's the third one down 'Spread his wings'

When I wrote it, i didn't have a specific for 'what the wings are' - but since then I think that it's the precosious ability to do the stuff on the comprehension test - to reason, to remember and make connections to what you know, and I think that abstract thought, which elementary aged kids aren't supposed to have, according to the training teachers get, has a lot to do with it.

BTW - my son is often judged as socially immature by school observers. He is also judged to be misreading social cues. Sometime he jumped to a wrong conclusion, sometimes he is reading feeling that adults won't admit to themselves. Ditto with 'knowing what the rules are.' My son know what the written rules are and what the unwritten rules are, and can be reluctant to go with my interpretation as he thinks he knows better. So knowing too much might cause behavior problems, particularly when one only has a kid-sized amount of self-control. He can and will rationalize all kinds of stuff, and it all sounds good.

I think that given the Intensity that comes with his Giftedness, he is doing an above average job of 'self-mastery' but compared to other ND children his age ( not to mention his grade,) he appears impuslive and stubborn. He can be challenging- no question, but I don't really think it's ADHD (for now anyway.)

Some times my son and I talk about it, and we say:
For all we know it is ADHD, but ADHD in a kid with this kind of LOG is so different that calling it ADHD might confuse people.

Using the lable to get accomidations may be a comopromise worth making.

Waving Warmly across the CyberAir,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com