I really appreciate all of your input - I'll try to answer a few of the questions

grade skip - he's in 5/6 combo in 5 so this might not be the best option. Also, his first skip came in a different district when they felt that was the only thing they had to offer. In this district, they think this program is enough. But it is something to rethink and perhaps consider.

labs, etc. (partial homeschool?) - in our state, the district must allow homeschool students access to GT and sped if there is room and sports. So, a partial homeschooling would likely not work out. I have thought about it informally but not sure if school/program would go for that. Also, he goes to school out of district and our home district does not really have a GT program.

Val – I am a bit reluctant to talk to other parents as there seems to be this overall feeling that this is the best program ever and any critics have problems. I exaggerate that a bit, but I did mention something to one parent last night and she said she sent an email at the end of the last year with what she thought was some constructive criticism and it was not received well. So, I guess my point is my work reaching out to other parents would need to be covert, I would have to get a large group in agreement and then we would have to fight the group that thinks everything is wonderful.

In terms of talking to the teacher – this is something that DH and I were talking about last night. We have a good relationship with the teacher – this is the second year with her. She is personable and friendly and generally easy to deal with. One thing she has said this year is that they have to do more work on getting the kids ready for standardized tests because of "gaps" last year and that “it is crucial that we make sure students are receiving grade-level content on a regular basis for standardized testing purposes.” This is not something that has ever been emphasized.

I agree with much of what HK has said and things she points out are really my concerns: no back up; coordinating; one piece breaking with chain reaction; still keeping DS interested, engaged and learning; measuring that. Other concerns - he's social - I think he is still happy where he is because he enjoys being with his friends, not seeing something like this as a long term plan and planning for that.

Still mulling and appreciate all of your guidance, wisdom and thoughts. Thanks.