Originally Posted by cc6
food for thought:
*perhaps this is why some children with autism appear to "recover" or "overcome" their autism? because their biggest, perhaps only issues; were the socio/emotional ie communication (pragmatics)? idk. just thinking out loud.

It doesn't look like good science to me. In their press releases (which are all over the Internet, btw) they do not make clear how they chose the population of people they studied, what interventions those people received, or how they were educated.

The findings appear to amount to "wow! people learn and grow!" to which I would say, well, yes, they do. Brains change for many reasons, such as exposure to new situations and education.

My favorite piece of writing on the subject of "outgrowing autism" is John Elder Robison's, here : http://jerobison.blogspot.com/2013/01/can-we-outgrow-autism.html

I don't much buy the idea of "recovery" from autism. Most science and experience points to the idea that the neurological differences are persistent; but of course a person learns and adapts to their environment over time.

Yes, many people with autism will be fine; many will struggle to be fine in situations that are hard for them; and there are many different versions of fine. I don't think we have to imagine that everyone will be magically cured in adolescence (press release: ""In adolescence, something amazing happens and the kids with ASD begin to perform like the typically developing kids," said Dr. Foxe") to believe that they will find their own kind of fine.

JMO.
DeeDee