My 8 years old DS loves reading so much . He can read and read and read . Usually we allow him to read past his bed time during weekdays . So when we send him to bed around 9 then he can read for half an hour or so . I think this sort of help him during days when he has problem to fall asleep , according to him , when he can't sleep , he's thinking a lot of things . Maybe the brain can shut off ?

Now , during weekends , we usually let him stay up until 10 , and so when we send him to bed , we expect him just to go to bed and sleep and no reading when he goes to bed at 10 . But these past couple of nights , we caught him reading , because we saw his light was still on , and DH wasn't too happy with the fact that DS went against what we said . DH ended up punishing him the next day with no computer or no movie night .. etc .

I am afraid that by punishing him , then it's like we're encouraging DS to hate reading , but if we didn't punish him , it's like we're letting him do whatever he wants because obviously he went against what we said .

I really love the fact that he loves to read and i am like him when i get into certain books i can't put it down even if it means i stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning to finish reading . So , what would you do ? Any suggestion ??
Thank you