I just can't believe it. They were hiding a secret gifted program. Okay, okay, I never actually talked to the principal in person and asked but....

I knew the formal district gifted program did not start until 5/6th grade. I did ask around quite a bit before kinder and was told there was not a "higher" kindergarten class for kids who had more skills already. At DD6's quick evaluation the june before kindergarten where they ask her to read the letters, demonstrate the letter sounds and count 20 beans, I also brought a few books she could read and she read a couple pages. She was reading 4th grade books at the time and I made sure the teacher knew a little of her abilities. Nope, no mention of gifted class and no gifted class assignment. I did have a little bit of communication with the principal where I wasn't asking for anything but did mention a bit about DD6's abilities...nope, no mention. Through all of our problems in Kinder it was never mentioned.

So we went for testing the week before school started and on Monday the psychologist emailed me the report and suggested we immediately get it to the principal as she knew they had a K/1st grade class where they put the higher 1st graders. I had been hoping for the 1/2 split class and I wasn't sure about just emailing test scores to the principal the day before assignments were passed out. The psychologist felt strongly I should (since I couldn't go in) and we were assigned to the K/1 class. The principal could not meet Fri when I was off and and so I went to go meet her new teacher for a few min after school.

To my surprise, this seems to be a self contained "gifted" class where all the children are either gifted or high ability. She tries to group by ability and differentiate. She mentioned that she had a couple of kindergarteners last year that are now 1st that are starting to read at the 4-5th level now and that they would be able read books and have discussions about theories and concepts etc. They work ahead in math depending on ability. There is also a 2/3 "gifted class" and I think a 4/5. All the kindergarteners are also high ability/gifted. Were there really 10 kindergarteners last year with more ability that my DD at the time?

I am cautiously thrilled, stunned that this existed and I little annoyed that we weren't offered it last year. I am really curious if we were assigned to the class at the last minute when they got my email or if she was already assigned.

Still, she made some friends last year, finally, which are helping her adjust this year so I will just hope for the future at this point.