i think i need a book for my husband's parents. i'm hearing a lot of things from them these days that i know i need to address in a new way - they're just not hearing me, no matter how gently i approach their comments. given the fact that they totally failed to address DH's needs growing up... i guess it's not a surprise.

but i really need them to learn more about gifted kids so they can stop believing this junk:

• if we let her learn at her own pace, she will run out of curriculum (uh, who cares? the world is a bit more than curriculum!)
• if we don't curb the things that make her so obviously different she will never have friends (just, no.)
• she must be taught to properly relate to age peers (sigh/no.)
• she's far too young [for me] to be worried about anything (seriously? remember last year, when she wanted to die?)

the stuff that worries me the most from that list is the idea that they think she needs to change in order to have friends. like she's in some way deficient? have they met her? she charms the pants off everyone she meets. i mean, this is a kid who is so socially adept that every single parent in Pre-K last year thought their kid was my kid's super-special-hearts-and-flowers-bestie-for-life. even the parents of the kid who bullied DD mercilessly.

the funny thing is, i worry she'll never have a true friend if she doesn't really get in touch with herself. you can't ever be true friends with someone if you're showing them only what you think they need - it'll be an endless stream of one-sided, unfulfilling relationships.

i've got three or four books on giftedness that i randomly bought when i was still in denial, but i don't love any of them. so over to you, experts. got any books that are solid enough (and relatable enough) to make a difference in recalcitrant grandparents?

thank you in advance!

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 08/25/13 06:24 AM.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.