Originally Posted by puffin
Originally Posted by Sweetie
My son had a similar thing. He is going into 8th and because of his scores doesn't have to take the reading class. So that gives him three electives instead of two. Problem is he isn't into the arts (except loves working tech for his dad the drama teacher at the high school) and has taken all the tech classes offered. They were going to offer a mythology class elective but it got dropped at the last minute and might only be an after school club. So...he is ending up taking the reading class. He says he doesn't mind but I know he does. Hopefully it will be an honors reading class at least and not one full of remedial readers who don't like to read. A class of misbehaving kids drives him nuts. AND the teacher is a long term sub until the position gets filled. I don't have high hopes for that class.

At this point my kid would be better off if his three electives were at the end of the day and I picked him up to partial homeschool him and he got to do his homework and pursue his own learning interests during that time.

Could he not do an on-line or correspondence course? Here we have a national school of correspondence that parents can access - maybe you have a state version.

You missed that they solved the problem and they (those that are exempt from the reading class) are all taking an advanced creative writing class. But yes we have Florida Virtual School but our school doesn't have random computers laying around available for kids to use willie nillie nor the inclination to figure out how something like that could work. If you want your kid to take a class from them you have to pick them up and do it at home under a partial homeschooling/virtual schooling model. They will do their best to schedule it so they either have all the on campus classes in the morning and you pick them up early or all their classes say periods 3-8 and you bring them in late. There is no such thing as study hall here unless you count in school suspension.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary