Yeah-- my DD will almost always give me this cat-into-the-canary-cage expression and then turn sheepish.... Aw shucks, ya caught me...

I always ask her (under those circumstances in which-- er, "glitter" seems somewhat excessive--) What do you think of (your effort on this/how that went/what happened)?

The closest I've come to Joan Crawford (er-- or for that matter, Amy Chua) was when I told my DD after a piano recital that I thought she owed Wolfy's ghost a major apology for profaning his work.

I also made her go home and play it the way I know she can play it-- and pointed out that she kinda wasted the awesome rate of return on the grand at the recital... bummer to play the alla Turca on an upright.

It doesn't seem to have harmed her any-- because it was said with a great deal of humor, and with a "Well, no, it wasn't good. But-- you DID keep going. You didn't stop and burst into tears when the wheels came off. Good recovery. I'm sure that Wolfy will be happy to accept your apology. I hear that he really likes improv." wink

She still loves the piano sonata in A, still plays it regularly at breakneck speed and it's a favorite warm-up for her now. So it's all good. She also learned a good lesson-- make excellence YOUR benchmark, and don't worry about each individual performance. Nothing awful happens if you make mistakes. But don't put nail polish on that sucker and call it a beauty queen, either. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.