I am so very sorry to hear of the illnesses in your family.

You have been given wonderful advice and I can only add my own perspective to things.

I have always been very open about death and dying with my children and when we have faced those issues within my family I have discussed the situation with them and given them the opportunity to grieve in their own way. If they choose to see our loved one in those final days then I take them to see them. If on the other hand they choose to remember that person the way they last saw them then we go down that path. For some people being there is paramount but for others, well they can't bring themselves to be there. For those that choose the later path guilt can play a very large part in their grieving process so I always emphasise that being there in the physical sense is only one part of dying, the most important thing is that you are there in spirit. While ever you hold that person in your heart and soul then you are both never far from each other.

You know your child better than anyone so as has been said, go with your gut. There are no wrong or right answers here just different ones based on what we know and feel at the time.

Last edited by matmum; 08/14/13 01:18 AM.